Originally published on FEMA.

Once you report a loss an adjuster is assigned to assist you with your claim. The adjuster will work with you to reach an agreed amount for the covered loss. The adjuster will also scope the damage and provide an estimate of the covered flood damage and a proof of loss form to you for signature. It is important to know that once you sign the proof of loss form, there is still an opportunity to work with your insurance carrier if you find additional flood damage or if you have a request for additional payment under your claim. The estimate, proof of loss form, and other supporting documentation comprise the Proof of Loss, which is required before your claim can be paid. If you disagree with your adjuster's estimate of damage, the following guidance outlines the effort to develop the Proof of Loss, to reach an agreed-to loss settlement amount, and/or to fully explain to you any damage that is not covered under the terms and conditions of your Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP). It is also important to note that even though the adjuster offers assistance to you with your claim, the responsibility to promptly report your loss, timely submit the Proof of Loss and the payment amount requested, is solely yours as stated within the SFIP at Section VII. General Conditions, paragraph (J) "Requirements of Case Loss".