In this module, we will learn more about the essential elements
of fire. We will discuss the fire tetrahedron in more detail and
find out how the four essential elements relate to concepts such as
heat of combustion and combustion efficiency.
We will learn how different interactions between the elements of
the fire tetrahedron can lead to different types of flames and also
how these four elements play a role in determining the structure of
fire plumes and how fires might spread.
- Define fire.
- Distinguish between endothermic and exothermic reactions.
- Differentiate between energy, work and power.
- Distinguish between potential and kinetic energy.
- Define units of energy measure.
- Differentiate between heat and temperature.
- Define specific heat.
- Calculate energy to change temperature.
- Differentiate between states of matter.
- Define heat of fusion and heat of vaporization.
- Discuss the fire triangle and tetrahedron.
- Define fuel.
- Define pyrolysis, vaporization and sublimation.
- Discuss fuel classifications.
- Define heat of combustion.
- Define heat release rate.
- Discuss the impact of oxygen on combustion.
- Discuss the role of heat in the fire tetrahedron.
- Discuss the chemical chain reaction.
- Discuss ignition.